Dr. Venugopal K. Menon, B. Sc,
FAAAA&I, FACAA&I, FRS
(Fellow of the Royal Society of
Cochin, India, August 20, 1937, Parents: Kavungal Narayana Menon
(Father), Kadaikkal Thankamma Menon (Mother)
December 5, 1964
Wife: Devi Menon
Children: Sreelatha, Sreekala, Arun
Education and Postgraduate Training
* S.R.V. High School, Cochin, India, Graduated with Honors, 1952
* Maharajas College, Cochin, India, Intermediate, with Honors, 1954,
* B. Sc with Honors, 1956
* Medical College, Trivandrum, Kerala, India, M.B.B.S., 1962
* Internship: Medical College Hospital, Trivandrum, India,1961-62
* Senior residency, 1962-63
* Residency in Pediatrics D.C. General Hospital, Washington, D.C., 1970-1971 University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT, 1971-1972 7
* Research Fellow Allergy/Immunology,Texas Allergy Research Foundation, Houston, TX, 1973–1976) Certification and Licensure
* American Board of Pediatrics, Board Certification, April, l976
* American Board of Allergy and Immunology, Board Certification, October, 1977
* Maryland (Flex), December, 1971, by examination
* Washington, D.C., December, 1971, by examination • Michigan, 1971, Basic Sciences by examination, Texas, 1973 ( By reciprocity)
* Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas Clinical Assistant Professor, 1977- Voluntary Faculty, 2006-
* Apollo Hospital, Madras, India Consultant, Allergy and Immunology, Chief, Department of Allergy and Immunology, 1983-1986
Scientific and Hospital affiliations
* American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 1973- Fellow, 1978-
* American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 1973- Fellow, 1979
* American Medical Association, 1973-1990
* Texas Medical Association, 1973-
* Harris County Medical Society, 1973-
* Western Branch, 1979-1992
* Greater Houston Allergy Society, 1973-
* American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow, 1976-
* American Association for Clinical Immunology and Allergy (Merged with American College of Allergy and Immunology) 1975-1987
* Southern Medical Association, 1975-1989
* Houston Pediatric Society, 1975-
* American Association of Certified Allergists, Fellow, 1978-
* Texas Allergy and Immunology Society, Founding Fellow, 1986-
* Royal Society of Medicine, London – Fellow (Retired, overseas), Nov 1, 2013
* McGovern Allergy Clinic, Houston, Texas Associate Physician, l973-l986 Partner, 1986- Treasurer, 1994-1998 President, 1999- 2006
* Texas Allergy Research Foundation, Houston, Texas Scientific Advisory Council, 1976-1986
Mirza, M. and Venugopalan, K.: Vitamin B-6 convulsions manifest in a case of Down’s Syndrome. Med Ann of DC, 41 (6), June, 1972.
McGovern, J. P., Haywood, T. J., and Venugopalan, K.: Constitutional and nonspecific factors in the etiology of atopic disease. In V. C. Kelley (ed.), Brennemann-Kelley Practice of Pediatrics. Hagerstown, Maryland: Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., 1976. Vol. II, Chapter 61, pp 1-7.
Venugopalan, K.* and Thomas, O. C.: Book Review: Aspects of Allergy and Applied Immunology, Vol. III. Annals of Allergy, Vol. 36, May, 1976, pp 364-365.
Venugopalan, K.: Book Review: Aspects of Allergy and Immunology, Vol. VIII. Annals of Allergy, Vol. 38, No. 4, April, 1977, page 278.
McGovern, J. P., Haywood, T. J., and Venugopalan, K.: Determinant Constitutional and Other Variables in the Etiology of Atopic Disease, in Kelley V. C. (ed.). Practice of Pediatrics. Hagerstown, Maryland: Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., 1980. Vol. II, Chapter 61, pp 1-9.
Menon, V.K.: “Asthma”. Akashavani Publications, Madras, India, January, 1986
Thorne, L. G., Machinski, G. T., and Menon, V. K.: Allergy Treatment Present Throughout Recorded History, Texas Health Letter, Spring, 1987.
Thorne, L. G., Machinski, G. T., and Menon, V. K.: Bronchodilators and other Treatments for Asthma, Texas Health Letter, Summer, 1987.
Menon, V.K.: Nosy About Nasal Sprays? McGovern Allergy Clinic Newsletter, Spring, 1988.
Menon, V. K.: The Mighty Mites. McGovern Allergy Clinic Newsletter, Spring, 1988.
Menon, V. K.: Sinus Headache. McGovern Allergy Clinic Newsletter, Spring, 1989.
Menon, V.K.: Adverse Reactions to Foods. Journal of Gastroenterology, December, 1994.
Menon, V.K.: “Asthma”, Indian Medical Association, Kerala State, India. XL Annual Conference Souvenir, November 9-10, 1996, Kodungallur, PP. 37-45.
* Menon, V.K.: Special lecture on Bronchial Asthma – New Perspectives – 9 l985, K. G. Hospital, Coimbatore, India.
* Menon, V.K.: “Update in Allergy”, Indian College of Allergy and Immunology, 1985.
* Menon, V.K.: Chaired Panel Symposium – “Asthma & Allergy”, Annual meeting of Indian College of Allergy and Immunology, 1985.
* Menon, V.K.: “Allergic Diseases”, Rotary Club of Madras, India, July 26, 1985.
* Menon, V.K.: Radio Talk – “Asthma”, on All India Radio, January, 1986.
* Menon, V.K.: “Allergies”, Galleria Area Rotary Club, May 2, 1994.
* Menon, V.K.: “Allergies & Asthma”, Parkinson Foundation of Harris County, July 15, 1994.
* Menon, V.K.: Radio Talks – Periodic guest of “Ask the Doctor” on KTEK, Houston.
* Menon, V.K.: “What’s an Allergy?”, Bellaire Hospital’s March Seminar on “Asthma, Allergies and Houston Air”, Bellaire Hospital, Houston, Texas, March 30, 1995.
* Menon, V.K.: “Latex Allergy”, Association of Kerala Medical Graduates (AKMG) CME program, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, July 2, l995.
* Name prior to United States citizenship in 1981.
* Association of Kerala Medical Graduates (AKMG) National Chairman, Annual Convention, July l993 National Hon. Chairman, Annual Convention, Aug 2013 Board of Governors, 1987-l990 Trustee, 1997-2000
* Sri Meenakshi Temple Society, Houston, Texas Founding Member, 1977- Vice Chairman, l989-l990 Chairman, l990-l991 Hon. Vice President, Chairman, Advisory Council, l996-l997 Co-Chairman, Task Force, Youth Center, 2002- Adjunct Director, 2006- 2013 Chairman Emeritus – 2019
* Indian Doctors’ Club Served, Board of Directors
* India Culture Center Served, Board of Directors Trustee, 1996-1998 (3 years)
* Indo-American Charity Foundation Board of Directors, 1996-l998 (3 years)
* Millennium Republic Day of India, Organizing Committee, January, 2000
* American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) Editor, Convention Souvenir, 2005 Member, Editorial Committee, 2005 Member, Web Publication Committee, 2005 . Pearland City Council – Healthcare facilities, 2011 . Hindus of Greater Houston – Advisory Board, 2014- . Institute of Spirituality and Health – Director 2014-2017 Hospital Affiliations
* Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, Texas Courtesy Staff, 1975-1986 Active Staff, 1986- 2006 Emeritus Retired, 2006 –
* Memorial Hermann Hospital, Houston, Texas Courtesy Staff, 1978-1997 Affiliate Staff, l997- 2004
* Bellaire Medical Center, Houston, Texas Courtesy Staff, 1975-2004 – Hospital Closed
* Apollo Hospital, Madras, India Chief, Allergy and Immunology, l983-l986
* Memorial Hermann Hospital Southwest, Houston, Texas Provisional Staff, 1994-2001 Courtesy Staff, 2001- 2004
* Christus St. Joseph Hospital, Houston, Texas Provisional Staff, 1994-1995 Courtesy Staff, 1995-2000 Consulting Staff, 2000- 2004